Click on any photo to enlarge...
2000 Aultman Street
Ely, Nevada 89301
A Shoshone Indian basket at the White Pine Public
A well drilling rig and the Cherry Creek Depot.
Our wonderful historic doll collection.
Mark Requa was responsible for developing the huge
copper mining operations in White Pine County and for building the now
famous Nevada Northern Railway. Learn more about it at the White Pine
The Nevada Northern Railway Depot in Cherry Creek, NV
was moved to the White Pine Public Museum in Ely in the fall of 1990.
Local elementary school students raised $11,000 to fund the move. The
building, now 99 years old, is a step back in time.
White Pine Public Museum
“Home of the Cave Bear”
White Pine County ~ Its Beginnings
The first people in White
Pine County were the Shoshone Indians. In 1860, the Pony Express
Telegraph and the Overland Stage brought explorers and prospectors into
the county. Between 1860 – 1900, gold silver and lead discoveries were
quickly followed by dozens of boomtowns, each with their brief time in
The rush to White Pine
County in 1867 was the biggest and brightest of them all. By 1869,
30,000 souls had made the trek to the slopes of Mt. Hamilton, and the
county was officially formed. However, the ore played out just as
quickly. By 1875, mining had all but ceased.
In 1887, the State
Legislature designated Ely as the new County Seat after a disastrous
fire destroyed much of Hamilton. Ely had been a quiet state stop and
post office before then but the new growth developments spurred growth
along the banks of Murry Creek. A Wells Fargo office, newspaper, some
saloons and a few modest homes and other businesses soon joined the new
The year of 1906 marked the
arrival of the Nevada Northern Railway. This made possible the
development of the copper industry and was instrumental in the economic
growth of Ely, McGill, Ruth, and the many other towns of the copper
Today, mining, the Ely State Prison, Federal offices and
Tourism form the basis of Eastern Nevada’s economics.
The History of the
White Pine County Public Museum
Spearheaded by the Ely Business and Professional Women’s
Club, 109 citizens joined together to develop a museum in White Pine
County on August 1, 1959.
opened with exhibits loaned & donated by the generosity of the citizens
of White Pine County.
incorporation as the White Pine County Public Museum was on June, 1960.
The museum received a grant (Max D. Fleischman) in August of 1961.
is supported by the Tour & Recreation Board, donations, memberships,
admissions, and donations by visitors.
Our Research Collection
Early record books of
White Pine County and businesses are kept at the museum. They are used
to help historians in their research about the area and its people.
Our mineral collection contains a
wide variety of copper ore samples, petrified woods, fossils of ancient
marine life and a collection of polished rocks.
Our Gift Shop
Don’t forget to visit our Gift Shop. We have Nevada
and other history books, USGS Topographical maps, post cards, candy,
jewelry, and more.
Our Historic Murals
fast becoming known as the “City of Murals”. Thanks to the efforts of
the Ely Renaissance Society, the museum received the first mural in Ely,
painted in the year 2000. The mural was painted by Colin Williams,
titled the “4th of July” and cost approximately $20,000. It
is located on the outside of the main museum building.
Come Visit Us...
2000 Aultman Street
Ely, Nevada 89301
We Welcome Tourist Groups
Seasonal hours. Please call ahead.
This page has received
visitors since August 8, 2014
Back to Top
any photo to enlarge...
The bones of two giant short-faced bears (Arctodus
simus) were discovered in a White Pine County cave in 1982.
This model of the 12,000-year-old
“Cave Bears” is exhibited at the White Pine Public Museum.
Historic “4th of July” mural on the side of the
The original one-room school house from Baker, Nevada
A jail cell from the old Ely City Jail.
A historic bell from Hamiliton, Nevada (now a ghost
BACK INTO TIME AND EXPERIENCE THE 40’S ERA WHEN YOU VISIT OUR
SATELLITE MUSEUM IN MCGILL, NV.
The old McGill Rexall Drug Store and 1930’s soda
fountain along with the entire inventory was presented intact to the
Museum by the heirs of Gerald and Elsa Culbert who owned and
operated the museum between 1945 and the mid 1980’s.